Redesigning an iPad application used by mechanics, managers, and foremen to carry out work orders on equipment that require repair, maintenance, replacement, etc.
May 2019 - July 2019
The Equipment360 iPad application required a visual facelift to modernize the UI and had to be looked to identify UX issues. It was the perfect intern project for myself and Isabel.
These were our goals:
Conduct user research to understand how the users interact with the products and what their pain points are.
Modernize the user interface and implement new branding colors.
Identify and fix pain points faced by the users, take out unnecessary functionalities, and look for opportunities to add new features that help our users.
The Equipment360 iPad application required a visual facelift and had to undergo testing to see if there were any UX issues that could be identified and improved. It was the perfect intern project for myself and Isabel.
These were our goals:
We installed the iPad application and started going through the user flows and the overall experience with the app. My partner Isabel and I divided the app by user-specific workflows and conducted a heuristic analysis to identify workflow and UI issues.
For such a large application this proved useful so we could focus on critical issues and solve those first. It was presented during the project kickoff meeting and got the approval from the stakeholders.
We knew what the critical issues were but it was time to get some perspective. We started off with interviewing three Customer Service Representatives. They were always the ones who were closest to the customer and the users (construction workers and mechanics). They are aware of the troubles the customers faced.
We asked about the kind of users we have, what differentiates them, their technological skills, educational background, common day to day activities, and other questions like:
We were provided a brand style guide that we expanded into a proper system with all the new colors that were decided for the redesign. The older version of the app was used as a reference and we were urged to not change the interface too much or else the users will get confused.
We drafted wireframes, low and high fidelity designs. We made sure we checked in with out senior designers from time to time to make sure we were on the right track.
We also put a lot of emphasis on the components system. We wanted to leave a guide for the developers that will be building from our designs, and also the future designers who will rely on this.
You can see what we built below.
I am unable to share anymore of the work that I have done. However, I do have slides that go into more details. I will be happy to share more during our interview.